Daily Kundalini Yoga- Week of July 13th
My daily inspirational calendar says this today- Just say “thanks”!
No need to make a big deal of it, but simply acknowledging small acts can have a true impact on others. It can even make a person’s day to receive a smile, a word of encouragement, a kind gesture.
We know from Buddhist practices, that gratitude is a multiplier. Recognizing and appreciating other people’s generosity has a similar effect- it encourages more of the same. This week, say “thank you” often.
Pranayam: to calm the heart and ground yourself for your practice.
Sit in easy pose, hands in guyan mudra, spine straight.
Inhale through the nose to a count of 4, Hold the breath for 4, Exhale for 4, Hold breath out for 4. (Lengthen or shorten count as needed).
- Seated neck rolls- 1 minute each direction
- Seated Wide Leg Life Nerve Stretch- legs wide, Inhale and stretch up to sky, Exhale down to left leg. Inhale back to sky, Exhale to right leg. Continue.
- Cat-cow- come into table top. Inhale and let the belly drop and look up, Exhale and arch into cat. Let the movement be initiated from the base of the spine like a wave.
Postures: From a Kriya that Gurmukh calls “To Give Yourself New Life” (1-2 minutes per posture)
- Stretch Pose– On back, arms and legs straight. Raise feet and head 6” off ground, hold and begin Breath of Fire. (Modify as needed- can do one leg at a time). This will charge up your navel point!
- Tuck Pose- Nose to knees. Clasp arms around knees, lift head towards knees and hold with Breath of Fire. Upon completion, lower head, allow head to turn side to side gently on mat.
- Rock and Roll on Spine: Same position clasping arms around knees, rock back and forth on the spine from the tailbone to top of shoulders. Circulates energy throughout the body and energizes the brain.
- Ego Eradicator: Come to seated, raise arms to 60 degrees to sides, fingertips curl and thumbs straight up. Hold arms up and begin Breath of Fire. Feel your heart open as you pull back the arms.
To end: Inhale deeply, slowly raise arms until thumbs meet overhead. Spread fingers wide and lower them down through aura as you Exhale.
Allow fingertips to rest on the ground beside you, releasing any negativity into the earth.
- Aura Arms: Immediately bring arms up on Inhale, palms touch briefly overhead, stretch spine to maximum, look up if available. Exhale as arm sweep back down through your aura. Continue.
- Arm Pumps: Extend arms out front, backs of hands touching, bring one hand below other and clasp hands (wrists are now crossed). Inhale as you stretch up to your maximum, looking up if available. Exhale lower arms to chest level. Bring in a mantra to chant out loud as you move such as: Sat Nam, Wahe Guru, or Healthy Am I, Happy Am I, Whole Am I.
To end: Big Inhale as you stretch up to the sky, tightening every muscle in your body. Exhale and release, sitting quietly to sense the energy flow.
Come onto your back and rest peacefully in shavasana.
Finish your practice by filling your heart with gratitude for all that you are and for all that you have in your life.
Sat Nam to all,